Veganism & the Environment: by the Numbers
3 Primary Gasses are responsible for Global
- Replacing a 'Regular' car for a Hybrid would reduce Carbon Dioxide Emmissions by
1 ton per year per person.
- Replacing meat for a Vegan Diet would reduce Carbon Dioxide Emissions by 1.5 tons per year per person.
- If every American dropped one serving of
chicken per week from their diet, it would save the same
amount of CO2 emissions as taking 500,000 cars of the
Chickens, turkeys, pigs and cows are collectively the Largest producer of Methane in the
Methane is 20 times more powerful at
trapping heat in the earth's atmosphere then carbon
- The meat, egg, and dairy industries produce 65% of worldwide Nitrous Oxide emissions.
- Nitrous Oxide is 300 times more powerful
at trapping heat in the earth's atmosphere then carbon oxide.
1 calorie from animal protein requires 11
times as much fossil fuel as one calorie of plant
The diets of meat eaters create 7 times the greehouse emissions as the diets of vegans.
A Thirsty Industry
Nearly half of all water used in the U.S. goes to raising animals for food.
- It takes more than 2,400 gallons of water to produce 1 pound of meat Only 25 gallons for 1 pound of wheat
- You would sAVe more water by Not-eating 1 pound of meat than you would
by Not-taking shower for 6
- A Vegan diet requires 300 gallons
of water per day vs Meat-eating
diet which requires 4,000 gallons per day.
Animals raised for food create 89,000 pounds of excrement per second, none of
which benefits from the water-treatment facilities human excrement does. This creates massive amounts of groundwater
Chicken, Hog and Cattle excrement has polluted 35,000 miles of rivers in 22
- Raising animals for food uses 30% of the earth's Land mass.
- That's about the same size as
- The moon has less area than that at 14.6
million square miles
More than 260 million acres of U.S. forest
have been cleared to create cropland to grow grain to feed farmed animals.
The equivalent of 7 football fields of land are bulldozed every minute to create more room for farmed
Livestock grazling is the number one cause of Plant
Species becoming threatened or going extinct in the U.S.
Why is raising animals for food so
Animals eat Large quantities of grain, soybeans, oats and corn; however, they only
produce a comparatively small amount of meat, dairy products, or eggs
grain and cereals grown in U.S. are fed to farmed
- It requires 16 pounds of grain to produce 1 pound of meat.
- 5 pounds
of wild-caught fish to produce 1 pound of farmed fish.